Who can attend a funeral?
- A modest number of family and close friends of the deceased.
How many people can attend?
- Risk assessments carried out at Lea Fields have identified a need to limit the number of mourners.
- There are 30 seats in the chapel, some of which are in pairs to allow people from the same household to sit together while still observing a 2 metre distance from other mourners.
- The seating availability reduces to 18 seats if mourners are from separate households, with the required 2 metre distancing between each one.
Can we stand under the canopy and listen to the service?
- We ask that mourners don’t gather under the canopy so as we don’t break the government guidance on funerals and mass gatherings and also protect all visitors and staff. The COVID-19: guidance for managing a funeral during the coronavirus pandemic (updated 9 July 2020) states that only modest numbers are to attend, so at the present time the outside speakers are not available.
Do I need to wear a face mask?
- From the 8 August 2020 face coverings will be mandatory when attending a funeral service at Lea Fields, or visiting reception.
Can attendees sing? Can we have a piper?
- The COVID-19: guidance for managing a funeral during the coronavirus pandemic (updated 9 July 2020) states that singing, chanting, raised voices or playing of instruments that are blown should be specifically avoided. These activities pose a possible additional risk of infection even if social distancing is being observed or face coverings are used.
Toilets, Hand washing and sanitising
- Lea Fields toilets are open and has hand washing facilities. The hand sanitising station in the chapel lobby (clearly marked) is to be utilised before entering the chapel.
- All public areas are sanitised in-between each service (seats, handles, hard surfaces, toilets etc.).
Test and Trace
- Funeral Directors will be given a simple NHS Test and Trace form for applicants to complete prior to the service. This will ask for their contact details (or those of the lead mourner on the day).
Please contact Lea Fields Crematorium on 01427 676500 for further queries.
Current seating plan
Lea Fields chapel has 18 seats that allow for 2m social distancing, however, we can accommodate a maximum of 30 if some members of the 18 are accompanied by another member of their household.
The chairs are able to be moved into larger household groups if required
- Please continue to maintain 2m social distancing
- Put vulnerable or shielded mourners in a safer, more isolated position
- Do not hug anyone from outside your household
- Wash or sanitise your hands before and after the funeral
Anyone who is showing symptoms of COVID-19 (a new continuous cough, a high temperature or a loss of, or change in, their normal sense of taste or smell) should not attend the funeral due to the risk that they pose to others.